Skip to content
Cross Rwanda border with rental vehicle

Cross Rwanda border with rental vehicle

Various countries provide various experiences, and occasionally tourists want to go on a safari that includes visits to other nations. Renting a car can allow you to travel across borders, but there may be additional expenditures involved. These include national taxes, border crossing fees, additional insurance prices, and many other charges. When hiring a car with a chauffeur or guide, all of these expenses will be estimated in advance and added to the total rental fee. Here is how you can cross Rwanda border with rental vehicle.

Although there are many reasons why people rent cars, crossing international borders in one of these vehicles needs careful planning. The majority of Ugandan vehicle rental businesses permit their clients to drive to other states or nations, but you must abide by the rules. You can rent a car and go on a self-drive or guided excursion from Rwanda to the East African nations of Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda.

Requirements for crossing Rwanda border with a rental vehicle.

Passport and Visas

Valid passports and visas are the travel documents needed for entry into another nation. It is crucial that you first check Rwandan immigration websites for details on the necessary visa, depending on your country of origin. For $100, you may apply for an East African Tourist Visa, which would let you visit Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda with just one visa. Furthermore, during the cross-border safari, nationals of the member states of the East African community are not required to obtain a visa in order to visit Kenya, Uganda, or Rwanda. However, drivers wishing to cross borders into East Africa must have a Ugandan passport or National Identity Card.

National or International Driving Permit

If you have an International Driver’s Permit, you can rent a car from Rwanda and go to another country. In the member states, your local driver’s license (issued in East African countries) will be accepted. For example, Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda are neighboring nations that accept valid driver’s licenses from Rwanda.

Letter of Authority

A letter of authority from the car rental company is another crucial need for traveling from Rwanda to another nation when renting a vehicle. This serves as evidence of approval or permission.

Vehicle Registration

A automobile from Rwanda must be certified and registered, and the border crossing agencies will need to see the necessary paperwork. The Company’s letter of authority to cross the border should be presented with the license or registration papers for the vehicle. The owner of the car (company) must sign the authority letter and the vehicle license documents.

COMESA Sticker

When renting a car from Rwanda and intending to cross Rwanda border with rental vehicle, travelers should make sure the vehicle is clearly marked as foreign property with a COMESA sticker.

Note that some countries, particularly those where there are ongoing security issues, such as South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), may not allow visitors to drive their rental cars there. Make sure you thoroughly examine the level of security in the area where you intend to spend your safari vacation before you actually leave.

Back To Top